Flight Training Frequently asked questions:

Whether you want to achieve a lifelong goal of piloting an aircraft or following your dream to become a commercial airline pilot, then flight training is right for you. Learning to fly is a challenge many people aspire to accomplish. Piloting a light aircraft can be a rewarding adventure that is not only fun but can lead to an interesting career and travel opportunities.
Aviation is the safest form of public transport. Transport Canada says on its website that aircraft safety has continuously improved since the Second World War and accidents now stand at an all-time low thanks largely to technology improvements like reliable engines and navigation systems.
Step 1. Select a flight school that best suits your needs. Transport Canada has published an excellent article on how to do this. www.tc.gc.ca
Step 2. Meet the CFI (Chief Flight Instructor) and discuss your goals and expectations. They will formulate a personalized plan to ensure you reach these goals in an efficient manner.
Our 30 minute familiarization flight is a great place to start. For just $90 you will experience the thrill of conducting your first take-off and controlling of the aircraft in flight, under the supervision of an instructor. After your flight you will receive a welcome package and will be able to enroll in a ground school course.
No, flight training can commence at any age and at any level of education. We recommend High School Graduation to any student planning on becoming a commercial pilot.
Yes, students must pass a medical examination with an Aviation Medical Examiner designated by Transport Canada. We suggest you complete this as soon as possible after commencing your training to avoid delays.http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca
Pilots can wear glasses or contact lenses as long as their vision is within the standards set out by Transport Canada.  Please check with your aviation doctor for the requirements.
Yes. All student pilots must take the Language Proficiency Test, which is designed to assess students’ listening comprehension, speaking ability, and responses to different verbal scenarios.  http://www.tc.gc.ca
Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) require all students who plan to study in Canada (including flight training) for a period greater than 6 months to apply for a student Visa.

The following countries do not need a visa for a stay of up to 6 months:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Republic of Korea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, United States, and Western Samoa.

If your country is not listed above please refer to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
Please note that Montair will be happy to issue students with a letter of acceptance, but will not get involved in the visa application process.

We will give you full credit for any flying completed at another school provided you have a completed log book or pilot training record with details of training certified by the school. Evidence of ground school must be certified in a Pilot Training Record or in another record acceptable to Transport Canada.
We offer ground school on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, as well as on Saturday mornings. The duration of the course is approximately 3 months.  The ground school is divided into several topics.  These are:

  • Airframes and Systems
  • Flight Instruments
  • Aerodynamics and theory of flight
  • Flight operations
  • Canadian Air Regulations (CAR’s)
  • Meteorology
  • Pilot Decision Making
  • Navigation

We high recommend attending the in class ground school, however if these times do not match your schedule we also offer the courses online.

Ideally, a student should fly three or more times a week. However, this may not be possible because of time or financial constraints. We recommend that you fly at least once a week to minimize total training costs and to enable you to progress as quickly as possible.
Ground school tuition must be paid for on enrolment. Flying is paid for at the end of each flight lesson. We accept CASH, AMEX, VISA, MASTERCARD and INTERAC.
In the initial stages, your flights will be about an hour in duration. However, you should plan to spend a full two hours at the airport. The extra hour will be necessary for briefing, pre-flight inspection of the aircraft, obtaining a weather briefing, post-flight documentation and debriefing, if necessary. When you progress to advanced exercises such as navigation, you should expect to spend about five hours total for a three-hour flight.
This is one-on-one instruction on the specifics of each flight exercise and is conducted prior to each flight. For the first few lessons, the briefing time is approximately 15 minutes per flight. However, as you progress onto more complex exercises such as navigation, the briefing may be up to an hour long. Briefings may also be conducted post flight to discuss weak areas as well as to make suggestions for improvement. Students require an average of ten hours briefing for a private pilot licence. Briefing is charged at the instructor hourly rate.
Pitt Meadows is one of Canada’s warmest cities; snowfall and sub-zero temperatures are very rare. Spring and summer are exceptionally dry months with very few days of precipitation. The winter months will allow students the opportunity to gain experience flying in a variety of different weather conditions.
A positive student and instructor relationship is a very important part of flight training. You will be assigned a primary instructor with whom you will do most of your training. This instructor will also be responsible for monitoring your progress. You will on occasion receive training from supervising instructors.
There is an in-house exam that must be completed prior to obtaining a Student Pilot Permit which is a requirement for solo flight. A Transport Canada written exam and flight test must be completed in order to obtain a licence. Students will also have to complete a brief oral exam in order to obtain a Radio Licence.
Once you have obtained a licence, you may rent our aircraft. Should you wish to take the aircraft for an extended period of time, the following conditions apply:  during the normal weekday, 0800 on Monday to 1800 on Friday, a minimum of three (3) hours must be flown or charged to the aircraft. At all other times, including holidays, a minimum of four (4) hours must be flown by the aircraft and/or will be charged to the pilot. You should fly at least once a month to maintain currency. Our rental policy requires that you complete a currency checkout with an instructor if you have not flown for more than 60 days.
Pilot jobs available to new commercial pilots include: bush flying, cargo and passenger flying, seasonal work including pipeline inspections or fire patrol and positions with small regional/charter companies. A great way to accumulate experience is to become a flight instructor. You will need an instructor rating which can be conducted at CAC.
Yes you can, we prefer to hire instructors from our own instructor training program.
Note – employment will be based on an individual’s ability and current position openings.
For holders of a FAA licence www.tc.gc.ca

For holders of a licence from all other states, requirements may vary depending on the issuing country. Please contact us for further details.